The electrically operated shower is one that feeds cold water over an electric element to heat it up. Bromley Plumbers are skilled in all aspects of this work. There is a Thermostatic control that regulates the water temperature. The main water supply runs through a 15mm connection to the main water supply. Usually it is not much of a job to provide a branch supply from the rising main. One limiting factor for the siting of the shower might be the way the drainage is provided. With pumped waste systems, even this may not present a problem. If the shower is to be fitted over the bath, there is no need to plan for drainage as it is already in place as bath is the shower cubicle and drain together. If the shower is to be fitted as part of a cubicle, you will need to refer to the manufacturers instructions for installing the new cubicle. Plan the position for the shower components. The shower unit needs to be simply operated. The spray head rail should provide loads of adjustment to suit the various different height of people using it. A Bromley Plumber has all the experience required to fit showers.Water Supply:Place the shower in its final position and mark the point at which it will be connected to the supply. Run a copper pipe from here to the main supply (usually 15mm pipe is used) If possible it should be taken through the wall next to the shower so that only a minimal amount of pipework shows. An isolating valve should be fitted in the pipework near to the shower unit to provide a separate means of isolation. Mount the shower unit on the wall as specified in the manufacturers instructions and connect to the water supply pipe using a compression fitting, or the supplied connector if there is one. Switch off the supply for the rising main and fit a 15mm branch to this. This is done by fitting a T piece, using either compression or solder fittings depending upon the situation and your preference. Switch the water back on and check for leaks.Electrical Supply:Strict rules govern Electrical work that can be done without notification or inspection. Unless qualified you must seek a Professional Electricians service for this work and plan your installation around this.

If you suspect that there is a gas leak or smell it, or even if you only think you can smell something like gas, you must report it and take some actions straight away, as both you and your familys safety is at risk. A Bromley Plumber can detect and rectify gas problems.Immediate Actions:1). Isolate the gas supply to every gas appliance.2). Turn off the emergency gas control valve at the gas meter.3). Open all the windows to vent the gas.4). Do not make any light switches as they may spark. Extinguish any naked flames. 5). Do not smoke.The national gas emergency service is: 0800 111999.The gas meter in your home should always be easy to access. If the meter is in a box, then you must the key in a safe and easy place to find (this is important). It is possible to isolate the gas supply to the home by turning the handle attached to the emergency control valve just one quarter of a turn. Bromley Plumbers can isolate the gas supply in case of an emergency. The bye-products that exhaust when combustion takes place are really dangerous, not just from gas but even solid fuel burning appliances, like those that burn oil or coal. There is a good chance that these products are carbon monoxide related. Carbon Monoxide is a very toxic gas that has no smell or taste and can build up in the home really quickly if the flue on the boiler is blocked naturally or by someone being careless (you need a carbon monoxide detector fitted in your home).If You Smell Fumes:Turn off the gas appliance. Open the windows were the fumes are discovered. If you feel drowsy, evacuate the building to get some fresh air into your lungs. Call a doctor if necessary. Call a gas service engineer.

If you do not have experience or are not confident to carry out this task you should call a professional plumbing tradesmen like Bromley Plumbers who have all the tool for this job.To begin a Bidet fit you should plumb the drain lines to the manufacturers specifications. Spread plumbers type putty on the base of the bidet tap, and then place the tap body into its mounting holes. Screw on the washers and locknut for the tap body shank and tighten it by hand. Put a roll of plumbers putty underneath the drain flange. Place the flange in the drain hole, and then fit the gasket and washer, threading the nut on the flange. No need to tighten. Fit the pop-up drain appliance by using the manufacturers diagram. Put the bidet in its final location. Make sure it is in line. Mark the location of the two side-mounting holes onto the floor through the pre-drilled holes on the stool. Remove the bidet and drill the correct size pilot holes through the marks on the floor. Push the floor bolts (supplied with the bidet basin) into the holes. Place the bidet so the floor bolts and their holes line up and mate. Make the water connection to the bidet tap with compression unions and dont forget to fit the hot/cold supplies to the correct ports on the bidet. Connect up the drain line by attaching the P-trap to the tailpiece for the drain. The trap then attaches to a branch drain line coming from the wall or floor in the same way as a sink drain. You may need a professional like a Bromley Plumber to ensure the job is done to the current regulations.Take the aerator out so any foreign bodies in the supply line will clear and then switch the supply on. Look for any leaking. Make up the bolt caps and thread them onto the floor bolts.

All domestic water supplies to the home arrives from a local water supply company. They will make sure that the water is pure enough to drink and does not contain any foreign objects or bacteria. There is of course a charge for this, so that is why it is usually well managed. The water goes through many processes before we get to drink or bathe in it, this includes filtration, chlorination, and the addition of something called fluoride. The pipes that moves our water supply is buried at such a depth depth to make sure that they are not disturbed by freezing or vibrations. A long time ago before new health and safety regulations were introduced, these pipes were pretty much all made from asbestos cement and cast iron. These days they are made from a plastic called PVC. You might possibly see blue pipes made of this when new mains are being laid. Bromley Plumbers use PVC pipes. The supply pipework runs under the ground at a minimum depth of 750mm which as stated gives protection from the frost. The pipes then stop just before the property and is fitted with something called a stop valve. This pipe is 15mm in diameter but is normally 25mm. A Bromley Plumber knows pipework sizes. Access to this stop valve is by a chamber or tube which has a removable cover on top and is marked so it is easy to locate. From there, the pipework comes into the property, through a service pipe of which the maintenance is the responsibility of the homeowner. The pipe is made from a material called medium density polyethylene (MDPE) and should be in a sleeve as it runs under the property and is insulated for protection from damage as it rises up. It connects to a water metering system inside or outside to monitor and record water use for billing.

1). Pipes.Visually inspect all accessible copper pies and if there is any verdigris and dots of dampness and wet they should be replaced.2). Stopcock.Make sure know the location of and check the operation of this particular valve i.e. on and off and if it will not turn then call your local water supply company. Bromley Plumbers are a professional service.3). Taps.Are they dripping?, if there are stains down the bath or sinks in the taps, new washers should probably be replaced.4). Internal Stopcock.Usually under the sink, again check operation of both open and close position and make sure water flow is nice and strong. If any problems occur then it should be replaced.5). Inspection Covers.Open any inspection covers on your property and inspect for crumbling concrete, debris or sludge in the gullies, holes and traps. These should be cleaned out.6). Toilets.Lift the WC cistern lid. Operate the flush and observe the system empty and fill. Any problems or sluggish movement or odd noises means the need for adjustment and overhaul.7). Cesspits and Septic tanks. If you have either, check for unpleasant smells or soft ground surrounding the covers.8). Drains.Again visually inspect all drainage looking for damage. If they are pottery you should consider plastic replacements.9). Floors.Check all floors behind toilets, under sinks, in the hot water cylinder cupboard in fact anywhere that water runs over and look for rusty marks and or wet patches. Any problems always consult an expert like a Bromley Plumber .10). Cold Water Storage Tank.his should have close fitting lid. Get help to run off some water and watch the re fill operation and cut off. Check level is lower than overflow. Any drips from valves etc. need replacing.

If the water from a WC fails to drain away easily or is overflowing, there is a blockage. Frequently this will be in the water trap in the pan itself and can readily be cleared. Bromley Plumbers can carry out all plumbing work. But, before proceeding, check the flow from other waste pipes to establish whether the blockage is affecting all the pipes. If it is, then the obstruction will be further down the line. If not, carry on as follows. Use a large plunger for this. Hold it so that the rubber end covers the waste outlet at the base of the pan and pump several times. Once the blockage is clear, the waste water should flow rapidly away its all downhill from here.How to rod out.If this wont clear it, the blockage could be further into the system, in which case, you can hire a large rodding auger to reach further along the pipework. This consists of a flexible rod which is pushed into the pipework. At the top is a handle that operates a claw at the far end. Push the auger down the pipe until it reaches the obstruction. Then turn the handle to dislodge it. If this fails to clear the blockage, it must be further along in the soil pipe. Unblocking a soil pipe.Old iron pipes rarely have serviceable access traps so the rodding out of such pipes may need to be undertaken via the vent, which is the top section on the roof. Access to the vent is high so if you are not confident you should use a professional like a Bromley Plumber .It is probably the case that a large mass of sewage is in the pipe above and this will come out at quite a speed. Unscrew it slowly and do your best to contain the result. If the pipework is indoors, lay plenty of plastic sheeting and make provision for clearing up the water. Remove the access cover and insert a drain auger (available from hire shops). Feed the auger in until you feel it reach the obstruction then turn the handle and move the auger back and forth to dislodge the blockage.?Withdraw the auger and flush the pipe with water from a hose. Replace the cover.

There are two ways that filtered water may be supplied. Firstly via a separate worktop mounted tap, or a combination mixer tap which has hot, cold, and filtered water. The later is often more convenient as no additional space is required on the worktop and many people prefer the convenience of a single tap. Initially You should check that your water pressure meets the minimum / maximum pressures required by the manufacturer. Bromley Plumbers are experts in all plumbing work.All in One Water Tap.Made up of a new triple outlet tap, flexible pipe tails, mounting bracket for the tap, filter unit and mounting bracket, and flexible water hoses to supply the filtered water. There may also be additional items such as a filter changing indicator.Mounting the Filter Unit.They can often be mounted in the horizontal plane instead of the vertical plane which makes it easier to find the best position under the sink in the kitchen.Connecting the Plumbing & Mounting the Tap.If you are not confident, call a Bromley Plumber to carry out the job. Isolate the hot and cold water supply to the sink. Drain down the pipe work, and fit suitable double check service valves before proceeding. If this is a new installation, or the position is unsuitable, you will have to modify the pipe work to suit. Disconnect the existing mixer tap hot and cold flexible tails from the supply pipes and remove the tap from the sink or worktop. Place the upper mounting gasket on the base of the tap assembly and position in the tap hole. Secure in its position using the horseshoe shaped plate and stud together with the mounting washers. If fitting to the worktop rather than the sink unit, hopefully the tap hole in the worktop will be the same size as that required for the new tap. If not, or if this is a new installation, you will need to cut the appropriate size hole in the worktop. Connect the flexible pipes to the hot and cold water feed. Connect the hoses to and from the unit. Re-open the isolation valves and inspect the job. Open the filtered water tap and allow to run for a minute or so to flush it through. Repeat for the hot and cold taps.

A tap which fails to supply water when it is opened is said to possibly contain what is known as an airlock. This will cause the water to stop flowing in the pipework. Bromley Plumbers undertake all manner of plumbing work.Removing the air lock.To remove the lock you can use a hosepipe and attach it to the tap that has the airlock and the other end to a working tap. In most cases this will be the cold tap on the kitchen sink. Open both taps and let the pressure of the mains water force the air back out of the pipes. Leave it for some time, then turn off the air locked tap. It could take a few goes like this to release the lock and allow water to run freely. When done, undo the hose from the higher of the two taps, before releasing the lower one and allowing the water in the hose to drain away into the sink.Air lock at more than one tap.When more than just one tap seems to have an airlock, then clear it from the lowest one. It may also be possible to blow out the airlock if the above method fails to work. Place a hose into the outlet pipe of the loft tank. Open the tap at the other end and then blow through the pipe to try and dislodge the lock.Draining down to remove an air lock.As a final resort method, drain the system down. A Bromley Plumber has the right tools to drain down. Turn off the water feed and open all the taps to drain the water. Close all taps until they are about a three quarters closed. Turn the water supply back on. Adjust them all until a light, even flow of water is achieved. Now go round opening them one by one to the half-open position, starting with the lowest and working upwards. Repeat at the three quarters open position. Once all air has been discharged, turn all taps off to a point where there is only a minimal flow. Finally, close them all before checking the operation of each in turn.

Modern WC systems can be too small to house a traditional ball float syphon flush mechanism. Therefore the inlet valve is either a modified diaphragm type wit a very short float arm, and miniature float, or an ingenious vertical valve with a float cup that fits round the central column of the valve body. Bromley Plumbers have expert knowledge on this subject. Both are very quiet when they operate however the float cup will be slow to fill the cistern if it is fed from a storage tank rather than mains supply. In these slimmer more modern systems the old syphon flushing method is replaced by a plastic valve operated flush mechanism that is operated by button fitted in the cistern lid. This also incorporates an over flow. The button is in two parts, depressing one part for a short low volume flush and both together for a full volume flush. The button is linked to the plunger rather than the older style wire link float arm system. Installing.The valve design is very ingenious but can be very tricky to make adjustment for a correct fit so when installing the valve must be adjusted so that the critical level on the body of the valve is at least 25mm above the top of the overflow pipe. There is a threaded shank at the base of the valve assembly which gives the relevant adjustment so that correct positioning can be achieved. Guaranteed installation work for this equipment can be carried out by a Bromley Plumber.The float cup inlet valve consists of a rubber ring seal at the base of the cistern which will probably need to be replaced in time but with spares available should not cause too much trouble. It is a good idea to keep any instuctions and drawings regarding the unit should you need to replace a defective seal at some point.

Go to top